Sunday, January 23, 2011

Coffee sketches 2

The second week of drawing people in the Mudhouse coffee shop on Sunday. One fellow gave me his card. I'll e-mail him after I turn the heat up here and I can feel my fingers again. I also saved myself a dollar by getting a black coffee and filling it halfway with milk instead of ordering a cafe au liat and letting the barrista do it for me. Sunday morning is the only day of the week I drink coffee. It's the cheapest thing there.

The two older men were sitting together discussing politics(?) There were four at the table, but obviously, two had their backs to me. A woman came up to me and said, "I recognize who that is, but I don't see her." So I pointed. I wonder if people notice me drawing. She was more active than I would have liked, (as an artist) but made up for it by just looking hot.
The hatted man on the top had really grungy hair. He was standing up, so I had to draw fast, but I wasn't fast enough. The girl was not as French as she looks here. She had pitch black hair, and I think I need another, fatter brush to really (insert proper word here*) it. The last fellow needed to be drawn, despite his wandering hand, due only to the facts that he looked exactly like Bon Jovi, and whose hair was exactly as pictured here.

I tried to exaggerate the teased out, "Liz" hair on the bespectacled girl, and ended up failing miserably. Maybe it was just the coffee, but she was the daintiest person I have ever seen. The other two folks were talking to each other. The man is a prime example of how you really shouldn't try to draw someone whose head is almost completely obscured by someone else's head, whose head was completely obscured by itself. She doesn't appear here because her head does not apparently occupy Euclidean space.

*the word is "Captured"

No comments: